Wednesday, December 11, 2013

To Circumcise or Not to Circumcise? (Part 1 of 2) - Our Decision

That is a big question that almost every parent will have to face.


*I'd like to note that Josh and I don't know if we are having a boy or a girl, and we are going to keep it that way.  So no matter what, this conversation had to happen...*

I have always assumed that I would do a lot of things.

I assumed I'd someday live in a mansion...

I assumed that I'd only ever marry one person...

And I assumed if I had a son he would be circumcised.

But once I became pregnant I stopped assuming so much.  I want to be an active parent, to do active research, and to make active choices in my child's life.  That means I have to question my assumptions and the assumptions of others, and get down to the nitty gritty of what is best for me, my family, and my child.

And that is what I would encourage every parent to do...make the best decision for your circumstance.  They are not all the same, and this post is in no way a judgement of other choices.

FOUR REASONS WE HAVE DECIDED NOT TO CIRCUMCISE

1.  The Foreskin doesn't make the penis dirty, it protects it.  

     Here is a fun quote, if you can makes sense of it all;

The article, Foreskin Sexual Function/Circumcision Sexual Dysfunction released by the Circumcision Information Resources Pages (CIRP) collaborates various scientific sources to examine the role of the foreskin in human sexuality in addition to studying the dysfunction that is cased by surgical amputation. 

The foreskin either partially or completely covers the glans penis in the adult male protecting it from dryness and abrasion [2]. Remaining protected from foreign stimuli, the foreskin maintains the subpreputial area wet and moist with prostatic, vesicular, and urethral secretions [2]. The subpreputial moisture contains lysozyme, which destroys pathogens [1]. It is important that the glans remain in this state of moisture and wetness because it is covered with mucosa, not skin. In addition, the prepuce guards from the process of keritinization. This otherwise would cause the glans to thicken as skin cells begin to layer, which deadens sensation [2]. 

In infant boys, the prepuce protects the meatus from ammoniacal diapers and prevents meatitis, meatal ulceration, and meatal stenosis. E. coli that is found in feces is the most important pathogen in urinary tract infection. The muscle fibers in the foreskin act as a preputial sphincter, helping to prevent UTI in infants as it forbids contact between the meatus and feces. Additionally, the foreskin also helps to reduce incidence of non-specific urethritis and presence of Staphylococcus aureus in the urethra [1]. 
2.  The Foreskin promotes less forceful penetration during sex, as well as reducing vaginal dryness.

   When I first interviewed my midwife, the subject of circumcision came up.  My midwife didn't tell me what to do either way, but she did tell that her friend recently has intercourse with an 'uncut' man, and her friend won't shut up about how it is the best she has EVER had.  Obviously, my midwife knows how I think.  You are welcome future girlfriend/wife of my son.  

     Another fun quote;
An important mechanical function of the foreskin is its ability to facilitate intromission and penetration [2]. As the foreskin unfolds, the penis enters his partner reducing friction, dryness, and abrasion allowing intercourse to be more comfortable [1].

Also, the presence of the foreskin allows for less forceful penetration. After penetration, the foreskin provides a unique gliding action that substantially reduces friction and vaginal dryness [1]. 
3.  The nerve endings in the Foreskin create pleasurable erotic sensations, and also reduce the risk of premature ejaculation.  Lol, You are welcome son!
The foreskin is a specific erogenous zone that is the most heavily innervated part of the penis with nerve endings near the surface of the ridged band. This band originates from the frenulum and encircles the opening of the foreskin [2]. The tissue whose nerve endings most sensitive to fine touch and temperature is located in the foreskin [1].

The foreskin has a layer of a smooth muscle tissue, the peripenic muscle, which comprises a portion of the dartos muscle [2]. The nerve-endings that are present in the foreskin become stimulated through motion and stretching [1]. Through the contractions of the unique muscle fibers in this tissue, the foreskin obtains strong elasticity, which is crucial to erogenous sensation. The muscle tissue must stretch to glide over the glans upon erection, later to return to its normal flaccid coverage. The stretching movement produces great sensation and pleasure. The nerve endings produce pleasurable erotic sensations, which travel to the central nervous system, inputting to the autonomic nervous system. This process plays a vital role in controlling erection and ejaculation [2].

Nerve endings of the glans are concentrated in the corona. Likewise, they intrude against the corona during intercourse [2]. The foreskin protects the corona from direct stimulation, and because it is the most highly innervated part of the glans penis, this helps to prevent premature ejaculation [1]. 
4.  It just isn't necessary.  

    This is my opinion.  There are many arguments for not leaving a boy in tact.  But most of them are either false or they are social stigmas.  Since I have not found a valid reason for circumcising my child I would feel wrong doing that.  I understand that not everyone views it in this way, but...I would not want anyone to modify my genitalia, so I feel that it is not right for me to modify my son's genitalia.  In my mind...oh and I'm sorry if this offends you but I cannot deny this is how I feel....it is equatable to genital mutilation.  If that is how I feel, how could I rightly do that to my son?


OUR DECISION

I was terrified to bring this subject up to Josh.  I assumed, as I do a lot, that he wouldn't hear me out, that he would immediately be against it, that there was no way I could convince a 'cut' man to consider leaving his son natural.  Boy, I really need to stop assuming things.  He is an amazing man, and when I told him I wanted to research the possibility he was completely fine with it.  Didn't even bat an eye!  Then last night (the reason I decided to write this post today) he brought up that he was talking to a coworker about, in his own words, "You know, we were talking about that thing we decided not to do if we have a boy..."

Hahaha, yes, I guess we have officially made the decision to NOT circumcise.

You see, Josh didn't need to do much research.  He just had to know it was unnecessary, and if that is the case, why do it?

In My Opinion:

Instead of convincing ourselves why NOT to circumcise, maybe we should try to convince ourselves why we SHOULD!

RESEARCH

I have done a lot of research on this subject, and I would advise everyone to do their own.  I'm not posting all the data here.  Maybe I will in later posts.  This was a great article I stumbled upon today that I quoted above:

http://childbirthand.blogspot.com/2011/01/benefits-of-keeping-penis-intact.html

I know a lot of people will tell you to just watch a video of a circumcision and that will convince you to leave your son natural.  Well, I haven't and I don't plan to.  I am not about doing or not doing things out of FEAR.  And I'm sure videos can be biased.  There are sure to people who have had great circumcision experiences., and some with horrible ones.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment